Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Gift of Tongues??

Yesterday I was filling up my work truck with gasoline and had to go in to get my receipt. Upon walking in I encountered two men, one of which asked me if I spoke any Spanish. I replied, "Un poquito." and held my index finger near my thumb to prove my point.
He replied, "Can you tell this man I can't sell him alcohol because he's drunk?"
"Sure." I turned and faced the other guy, eyes red, the effects of over-excessive 4th of July partying. I had no idea how to say what I needed to say, but I opened my mouth and out came... "El no puede vender a ti porque tu eres boracho."
He muttered something in Spanish I couldn't understand, that sounded like excuses, then mistaking my silence for resolve rather than confusion said, "Porque estoy boracho?"
"Si." I said. To that he gave me high five and exited the gas station.

It was definitely a fun experience I had getting gas yesterday morning. Now I guess I should go to the Library and pick up some Spanish CDs. Adios.

No comments:

Post a Comment